[IPCop-user] Is IPv6 coming to IPCop?
James Smith
2003-06-26 07:25:05 UTC
In March the statement "We hope to be able to offer this sometime in the not
too distant future though." was used on this list with reference to IPv6.

Does anyone know if this is any closer as my ISP now offers [large] blocks
of IPv6 addresses over ADSL lines and smaller groups for modem users and I
would love to transfer my whole network over, if only to say I can ;-)

--
James Smith
***@xsite.ltd.uk
John Edwards
2003-06-26 19:23:13 UTC
Post by James Smith
In March the statement "We hope to be able to offer this sometime in the not
too distant future though." was used on this list with reference to IPv6.
Does anyone know if this is any closer as my ISP now offers [large] blocks
of IPv6 addresses over ADSL lines and smaller groups for modem users and I
would love to transfer my whole network over, if only to say I can ;-)
--
James Smith
Which ISP ? Are they in the UK ?

I think you are the first person to ask about IPv6 with IPCop for a
production enviroment.

There is a HOWTO on Linux & IPv6 that provides some information:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/

The ifconfig and iproute2 tools used in IPCop already have support for IPv6,
but there is a lot of work that still needs to be done is:

1) Add IPv6 support to the kernel - mostly easy.

2) Get ip6tables working - it's still an extension patch, though widely used:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.html

3) Modify firewall rules - which are due to be moved to shorewall in the
future (later this year ???). I don't believe that shorewall currently
has any IPv6 firewalling capabilities, though it can do 6to4 tunnels.

4) Rewrite setup program, libraries and web interface - big job in C and
Perl/Python/PHP.

5) Update documentation.

As few people have any need for IPv6 at the moment and there are other
more important priorities I won't expect it to appear in the next year.

If you need an IPv6 firewall now then you may have to use a striped down
OpenBSD, Debian or RedHat machine (though a miminal RedHat has got rather
large), and then experiment with handcrafted firewall rules.

Debian has a page for IPv6 development:
http://people.debian.org/~csmall/ipv6/
--
| John Edwards Email: ***@uk.com |